Saturday, January 07, 2006

Rehired

The office policy is to represent everyone who is incarcerated. So, if Bill Gates was arrested by the police, we represent him at his bond hearing and such.

In November, I was in Court in Friday morning for inmate arraignments. There was one fellow who initially asked for my help, so I talked to him and then talked to the prosecutor. He had made several trips over from the jail, and was growing frustrated because this case wasn't going forward. He has several others with our office, as well. The bottom line was that he didn't think that I was doing anything for him, so he fired me. Which was fine with me -- I had several other people (probably 10 or 15) that I was trying to help that morning.

Later, he decided that maybe he did want to be represented on this case. Which means that, unless he hired a lawyer, he'd get me back.

I went to speak with him today at the jail, and I have to say that I am hopeful that we'll be able to get a good result for him. First, he basically told me that he is innocent, and I believe him. Scond, the prosecutor told me yesterday that she doesn't have one of her witnesses. That means that one of his two charges is going to go away, and the State's case on the other is seriously undermined. His case is set for trial on Monday. We're ready to try it, but I think we'll be able to work out a gravy deal for him. At least, that's what I am hoping.

In any event, it's a nice feeling to know that we're probably going to get a good result for a guy that was extremely frustrated with us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home