Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Random Stuff

This is the first week of a two-week trial term. Two down today -- neither of which, obviously, actually went to trial. Good outcomes, nonetheless, I believe. Five tomorrow, one with an interesting Confronation Clause issue. The client's stepson calls 911 after the client has left the premises. The prosecutor wants to get the 911 tape in, since I don't think the victim/wife is going to appear.

I think I mentioned a couple of weeks back that one of my colleagues was slapped in court by her client, after the jury found him guilty. You might remember that this was the case where the client shot up his mother's house. Well, the Conflict Defender did take the case for sentencing, and the Judge imposed a term of 111 years. That's right: 111. Effectively, he will never be paroled. That's a whole lot of time for an incident where no blood was ever drawn.

As it turns out, things are going to go quite well in my new division, I think. The senior assistant, my friend, is very reasonable indeed.

I doubt that I will try anything tomorrow -- there is a judge's meeting, so my judge will only be available for part of the day. I guess we could pick a jury and then reconvene on Friday morning. However, I think my cases are going to all get worked out. I am expecting two or three dismissals tomorrow. We'll see.

1 Comments:

Blogger pdwannabe said...

111 years?! Whoa...

10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home