Monday, September 11, 2006

Vehicular Homicide update

So, the Judge dismissed my Vehicular Homicide case this morning for want of prosecution. The State claimed that they couldn't find their eyewitness. I think that they were looking for a way for the case to go away, because I think it wasn't so much a case of "couldn't find their eyewitness" and "didn't want to find their eyewitness." The case was a dog, as evidenced by the fact that they offered a plea to reckless driving.

(The State was alleging that she was speeding. A pedestrian walked out in front of my lady, and she hit him. An eyewitness claimed that she was going 60 mph in a 40 mph zone. However, the science pretty well established that she was going 40 mph.)

I am very happy for my client, although I would have mightily liked to try the case. She has some closure now, although I'm not sure that that is much solace for her. It will take a very long time for her to come to some sort of peace with this tragic accident. She arrived a little late to Court, after the Judge had already dismissed the case. When she was told the case was dismissed, she broke down in the courtroom. I hope she is doing well.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

good for you! Our prosecutors would have gone ahead with the trial for the papers. (Well, one paper in Podunk New Mexico) This way, they don't get the blame. The jury does.

10:59 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

I linked you. Let me know if it's not ok. I'm new to the blogging protocol.

11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home