Thursday, October 11, 2007

Testing

Does this thing still work?

I've been awfully, awfully busy lately. As you might imagine. I second-chaired a child molestation case, which we won. That was incredibly sad -- our client was 13 when the alleged incident occurred. I have all kinds of respect for people that represent juveniles charged as adults.

I got through my first trial calendar in big people's court just fine. I'm on the cusp of another, which will start Monday. I think I have all 15 of my cases worked out, though. We shall see. There are one or two which have potential.

And I have my first case set tomorrow with real exposure set for pre-trial. There is a motion pending that will make a huge difference in the case. We shall see what tomorrow brings.

5 Comments:

Blogger Remy, Esq. said...

Welcome Back and Congrats on your break out from misdemeanorland

malum

4:29 PM  
Blogger swd said...

Hey -- thanks!

I'm hoping that I can start posting again more regularly. It seems that the worst of infancy sleep deprivation may be over. God, I hope so.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

And congrats on the molestation case. Yes, juvies are incredibly depressing, especially with charges like that. (My first rape trial was with a 14 year old defendant.) I could only take a year of it.

6:07 PM  
Blogger swd said...

There is a mandatory ten for the child molestation count here. I heard him out in the hall, talking to his mother, saying rather non-chalantly, "I'll be 27 when I'm released."

He doesn't even know what his early 20's can be, and the fact that he'd be missing them. ... Ugh. God bless everyone who does that work.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Rare Todd said...

How is it ever justified to try a child as an adult. I've never understood that.

You never hear about an adult being tried as a child!
"Oh, that's OK, 46-year-old Mr. Jenkins, you only stole some candy from the 7-11. So, we'll send you to juvenile court."

I have no idea what your case was about, but I'm sure a 13-year-old has no idea what molestation really means or entails.

A child is a child--period.

6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home