Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Putz-like

I had jail pleas this morning. There were, probably, 25 or 30 people on the calendar, and I was the only APD in the courtroom this morning. Unfortunately. I think I ended up talking to ten clients or so. A relatively light load for jail pleas, but several of the cases turned out to be failry complicated. To add a twist, I had a visiting judge this morning. My Judge was not there for some reason.

Jail pleas, as they are called here, are weekly exercises in triage. My aim is to get everyone out that I can, normally by bond reduction. However, I usually learn about the person's case after they say they want the help of the P.D. The prosecutor puts the file on my table, and I start reading. Also, I had to kind of pay attention to what this judge, who I did not know, was doing, so I could make some sort of recommendation to the client.

There was an older guy whose was wanting to get out on bond. He had failed to appear for arraignment, but he was in his forties, and I thought that it would be a no-brainer for him to sign his own bond. The problem was that I didn't have my Judge.

The visiting judge was concerned that the guy hadn't shown up for arraignment. I hadn't looked at the file that closely, because
  1. The client was older
  2. Notice of arraignment was sent to the wrong address
  3. The client was a Viet Nam veteran
  4. The client had earned two Purple Hearts while in Viet Nam
  5. The client has cancer and a heart condition, necessitating surgery
  6. The client and the alleged victim have parted ways

However, the visiting judge was concerned that the client had kept the Court apprized of his address. Well, it turns out that the case was initially started as a felony, and the charges were dismissed at preliminary hearing. We're talking here about an incident that ocurred over two years ago. The charges were dismissed, and the client was free to assume that the case was done. However, the misdemeanor prosecutor has ridden in to save the day and accused the client with misdemeanor charges.

We eventually got the signature bond, got an arraignment date, and I moved on to the other three clients that were begging for my attention.

This whole time, there were at least two attorneys sitting, patiently waiting for their cases to be called. They had clients on the walk-in calendar, which should be called at 11:00. However, because jail pleas ran over, their cases weren't called until noon.

After one of them finished his business, he came over before leaving and pointed out that there might be a limitations issue. I know about the freaking statute of limitations. But the thing is, so I was so focussed on getting the guy out on a signature bond, I didn't really take that close a look at the dates. The misdemeanor prosecutor had two years from the date of the incident to file the charging document, called an Accusation here. If the prosecutor missed the opportunity to file, then the prosecution is forever barred.

I ended up feeling like a putz, because I hadn't checked that out. It is pretty rare that we get cases that have languished for so long, and that should always be the first thing to check. But the vibe of the interaction was just a little strange. Like the big-shot retained attorney was sharing some sort of practice secret with the likeably-addled and slow public defender. In short, I was pissed off twice over: once at myself and once at him. Mostly because the guy had been sitting around for over an hour while I was working my ass off.

Anyway, I just checked through the online judicial management system. The incident ocurred in December 2004, the Accusation was filed in October 2006. No limitations problem.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The client was older
Notice of arraignment was sent to the wrong address
The client was a Viet Nam veteran
The client had earned two Purple Hearts while in Viet Nam
The client has cancer and a heart condition, necessitating surgery
The client and the alleged victim have parted ways."

Your point? Last time I checked people should be punished for their crimes - not cut a break for their past achievements. By the way, those notices that get sent to the wrong addresses about 99% of the time are due to the defendant not notifying the prosecuting office that they are bouncing around from residence to residence.

5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home