Saturday, December 30, 2006

Final Caseload Update

Our case management software says that I closed 604 cases this year. That includes a number of things:
  • Original cases.
  • Probation violations.
  • Clients that opted to proceed pro se or to retain counsel.
  • A small handful of cases that we opened because we are/were required to contact inmates within 72 hours of their arrest.
  • A few post-judgment matters.

We aren't really following the 72-hour rule anymore. If so, my stats would be more like 850 cases, probably, and I never would have worked the file because we got the person out at inmate arraignment and, at the regularly scheduled arraignment, the person resolved the case pro se. The number is just too great for us to handle, and we aren't really accomplishing anything.

In any event, when the boss distills the numbers, I suspect I'll come out to around 375. I haven't talked to him yet about how he does that, and I hope to next week.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that just felonies or combination of misdemeanor & felonies?

10:46 PM  
Blogger swd said...

That's just misdemeanors.

600 felonies would be utterly insane.

11:33 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

I keep telling my boss that 600 felonies a year *is* utterly insane...

9:02 PM  
Blogger Rare Todd said...

How about keeping a Public Defender's Journal to keep score of all those cases? Just change the names to protect the... uh... non-convicted.

10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home