Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Waiting

The first week of the trial calendar is nearly half over, and I've got a problem.

I represent one guy that's charged with a series of offenses, and he's one of three co-defendants. The conflict defender is already handling one, and the second co-defendant is being represented by another attorney in our office. Looks like there might be problems with the joint representation and we have made motion to appoint outside counsel.

Here's the problem: Brian Nichols. Well, indirectly, anyway. I don't think that there is any money left to pay appointed attorneys. Anywhere. Our budget is pathetically small, and the Brian Nichols case has exhausted the state offers, as has been discussed ad nauseum elsewhere. So, we've tried to handle our conflicts inhouse when we can, but sometimes you just can't. And I think that's the position that I'm in now.

And I'm now stuck in this sort of limbo -- if I'm going to represent my guy, there are certain things that I need to do right now, but everything is sort of on hold and it's getting to be just a little frustrating.

I'm left in a quandary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home