Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Update

I'm in, but now I'm a little pissed. Before the calendar call, the D.A. was interested in what the client had to say about a co-defendant. But now, since that co-defendant is set up for a plea, the D.A. isn't interested anymore.

The delay in resolving this issue, at this stage of the proceedings, has cost my client the opportunity to lower his sentence. Which doesn't mean much in the abstract, but does when you realize we're talking about years in prison. And I do mean "years."

I met with his mother last night, and everyone seems pretty well resolved about what is going to happen, which is good. Still, I feel bad for her.

1 Comments:

Blogger public defender said...

Prosecutors can be real bullies.

The prosecutor in my courtroom tried to strong-arm me into a max-time plea on a shoplifting case (which would be 180 days) by telling me if my client didn't take the plea today the case "could go felony."

I set the case for trial. I ain't gonna get max time from the judge when we lose, and if the case was a felony case then it would have been charged as such.

I told the prosecutor that he was being a bully and I wouldn't cave. He told me that he didn't have to offer a plea at all, and it was up to him to extend a plea. I thanked him for the sage words, got my client released from custody, and set a date for the trial.

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home